Monday, November 11, 2013

11/11/13


 Anil Dash

Anil Dash’s concept of New Tools and Better Networks transforms institutions made me realize the importance of utilizing all that we have been fortunate to receive in life, to better the world around us. When Dash said, “If you have the ability to use these tools, we need to ask ourselves, what are we doing with them?” Think about it, we are all fortunate enough to be attending college right now. We are all used to using technology all day, every day, and often taking it for granted. If we all channeled our minds (however technology obsessed or technology scared we are) into building strong networks in meaningful ways, I really think we could not only help people all over the world that are less fortunate than us, but make things that were once impossible, possible. I know this wasn’t necessarily the point of his lecture, which I did find very interesting, but I think if we view tools and networks as positive stepping stones to help others, I think we could all be better off. For example, if we all thought about it for a minute, I’m sure we could all name a few people we know internationally, whether it is directly, or through family or friends. Maybe you studied abroad and have a host family Spain. Maybe your sister’s boyfriend just got a job in Shanghai, or maybe it is even a teacher’s connection with an old friend in Ecuador. Whatever the case may be, with the application of online networking, we could easily be in contact with all of them, within days. Now, imagine having a goal of say, all school children, around the world, having the ability to eat a healthy breakfast at school. Sure, it is definitely a huge goal, but with this new network of people around the globe, they are bound to know people, or to be interested in your cause, and willing to help. It’s grassroots advocacy but in a global, online capacity. And there’s no reason we shouldn’t take advantage of these privileges that the Internet has allowed us.

Chris Anderson

The Internet has caused social evolution that is really interesting to watch, and certainly could not be done before the Internet. Although Anderson focuses on this Light, Crowd, Desire system, I really enjoyed when he talked about the self-fueling concept of global innovation. It is based on individuals and group’s motivation and attitude towards learning and experimenting with new ideas. “Innovation emerges because of groups”, echoes my thoughts on Dash’s videos in terms of networks. With web videos, the ideas and knowledge of people around the world can be easily shared and accessed, which when watched, will spark other people’s imagination, as well as teach them things they wouldn’t necessarily go out and take a class in, write a thesis for, or even Google.

McGonigal

Now at first I was definitely reluctant to hear this “play more online/video games” idea. To generalize my views on video games, I will just say that I don’t think they are a very productive way to spend your time. I cringe at the thought of violent video games, already planning the talk I will one-day give my kids about how they are not allowed to play them. I think staring at a screen for long periods of time leads to eye problems, headaches, etc., and I certainly believe that kids sitting on their asses for hours on end undoubtedly isn’t helping to combat obesity.

But then McGonigal made good point after good point, and now my head is spinning.

The idea that gamers are the best versions of themselves when playing is so interesting. There is nothing they are too afraid to try, they quickly lend a helping hand and they are constantly getting this feedback that we just don’t get in the real world. It makes them keep going, it makes them feel good, and it makes them want to win (excuse me if I am wrong in saying that is the ultimate goal in video games). These four pillars: urgent optimism, epic meaning, blissful productivity, and social fabric are all really great, but when outside of the gaming world, I don’t know if they can be utilized. Someone might be a ferociously good gamer, an extremely talented basketball player/teammate, or a great painter, all things that may offer lots of benefits neurologically and maybe even socially. However, I don’t know if I’m ready to invest in those people in hopes that they are going to be able to combat hunger, poverty, obesity, climate change, etc. Now, maybe this is a stark contrast to my previous paragraphs on the hopefulness I am feeling towards the possibilities of the Internet and these networks and tools, but I am not yet convinced. However, if I am going to stick with the thinking of my previous paragraphs, I need to at least give this possibility a chance. Like networks, tools, web videos, and alas, gaming, the opportunity is there to improve society, to alleviate suffering through technology, if used accordingly. I like the idea of these games garnering a great amount of meaning, optimism and productivity. But to believe that those people that game 22 hours a week will then be productive in other, more meaningful areas in their life, is something I have a difficult time with. I would love to see how this can be made possible; how these skills and qualities can be capitalized on in the “real” world, to combat the problems of today’s world.

Priebatsch

Immediately, I connect with Priebatsch’s “game layer” concept in terms of influencing people’s behaviors. This is what McGonigal aims to do with gaming, but didn’t explicitly say it. With this game layer, the goal is to influence behavior. This TED talk really had me thinking that every part of our lives is a game in one way or another. School, as Priebatsch describes, is just a poorly designed one. But take dieting for example, the concept of Weight Watchers, where every item of food is given a point. You are only allowed a certain amount of points each day depending on your weight loss goals. Fruits and vegetables are zero points, whereas say cake, or pizza might be seven. This system of points is what makes Weight Watchers a really good option for a lot of people. Even with dating, the phrase “he/she plays games” is often used as a means to describe the “should I call him even though he didn’t call me last night?” fiasco.

Maybe McGonigal’s suggestion that we need to play more video games isn’t quite the solution. Maybe it is that we are already playing all these games. We win, by losing weight, by getting the guy to call you before you have to call him, by getting straight As. But if these little games are the things that get us through life, what is the “epic win” that McGonigal speaks of? And more importantly, what do we lose, or what are the trade-offs? We win an epic win, but at the expense of who, or what? 

2 comments:

  1. I feel as if you have picked up the idealist torch when talking about Dash’s video. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of idealism, it’s just very, very challenging to actually stick with on a daily basis. As I continued to read your part on Dash I thought of the six connection concept, where we are all connected within six friendships or acquaintances. It’s actually a really small world out there for being so large.

    I could not finish McGonigal, because I was so appalled at her idea. I can’t say it is in correct however I can say I hate it. Why cant people be the “best versions” of themselves all the time? I see life as a game and have for a while, it’s not very challenging, however there are a lot of players. In kindergarten and high school I see as the most important parts of school, the rest of it is for learning how to follow the rules. In kindergarten we learn how to read, maybe to write, we learn basic social interactions and how the authority dynamic works. The next eight years, grades 1-8 are meant to teach you have to follow the rules, or more ingrain them in your head. But high school is really where it counts. That’s when your GPA starts to matter and your extra curricular’s play a role on your college application. As soon as you figure out its all a big game you can really start to win.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Although I'm not a gamer, I think most people would agree with your statement that the purpose of games is "to win." McGonigal suggested that games "bring out the best in people" and encourage people to "quickly lend a helping hand." I'm skeptical of her claims in light of the fact that a gamer's main focus is the epic win. For one, I've never witnessed a game bring out the better side of people; rather, I've watched how games have transformed people into irritated, tense insomniacs with the worst sailor mouths you could ever imagine. Secondly, if the goal is an epic win, a gamer will look out for himself. If helping someone could benefit him, then of course he'll lend "a helping hand." The epic win aspect of gaming ingrains in people selfishness, greed, and self-ambition, not the compassion, selflessness, and sacrifice that is needed to really change the world. I think you foresaw these complications because you hinted at them in the last three questions of the post (and by the way, I think that was a great way to close. :-) ).

    ReplyDelete